The villagers started their conservation efforts in 1956 after a violent altercation with a man from another village who was taking timber from the forest. They established the Gram Swarajya Jungle Sahakari Sanstha and started conservation attempts in 240 hectares of the forest. The regeneration attempts were successful, especially for the forest understory. There has been an increase in biodiversity and fuelwood, fodder and NTFP has become abundant in the forest which is better for the community in terms of income. This regeneration program helped to foster unity and emphasize the importance of self-governance in the village.